Groupe Francophone
Related: About this forumMacron: "Nous rebatirons" Notre-Dame de Paris
"Nous rebâtirons" Notre-Dame de Paris, promet Emmanuel Macron après l'incendie
https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/patrimoine/incendie-de-notre-dame-de-paris/video-nous-rebatirons-notre-dame-de-paris-promet-emmanuel-macron-apres-l-incendie_3400073.html
I wept today.
Sorry. I know this is the French Group. It is late and I am to tired to translate my grief.
NBachers
(19,572 posts)ucrdem
(15,720 posts)a lot was probably lost, and it's going to take some time to restore Notre Dame, but it will happen. Solidarité avec tous nos amis français et francophones.
ucrdem
(15,720 posts)Our lady of tears . . .
denbot
(9,950 posts)Thanks..
ucrdem
(15,720 posts)This is our history, our literature, our imagination, the place where we lived all our great moments.
Then in the speech he says the worst was prevented, but the battle is still being fought. He apologizes to the people of Paris and of the world and announces an international subscription drive to raise money for rebuilding the cathedral.
nitpicker
(7,153 posts)France's Macron pledges to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral
French President Emmanuel Macron vowed to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral on Monday after the Paris landmark was partially gutted in a devastating fire.
"We will rebuild it together. It will undoubtedly be part of French destiny and our project for the years to come," Macron said at the scene of the smoldering 12th-century Gothic cathedral.
Macron said the "the worst had been avoided" after firefighters managed to contain the fire following a collapse of the spire and the wooden roof structure went up in flames. Miraculously, only a small part of the vault appeared to have collapsed into the interior and firefighters were able to save valuable relics and pieces of art.
Paris fire brigade chief Jean-Claude Gallet said the main structure of Notre Dame had been saved and preserved, as well as the two rectangular towers at its facade. The fire service said the blaze had been fully extinguished on Tuesday morning.
Laurent Nunez, state secretary in the Interior Ministry told French broadcaster BFM TV on Tuesday that the cause of the fire was still unknown and that authorities were still investigating how it could have started.
He added that the next step would be assessing how well the core structure had fared in the blaze and establishing if the building was stable. A group of architects and experts will be convened to decide how best to proceed.
(snip)
Kick in to the DU tip jar?
This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.
As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.